ZUV zero-emission utility vehicle
Zero Emmission Utility Vehicle
Commissioned under the Vienna Biennale for Change 2021 for the exhibition CLIMATE CARE we developed a pioneering project on the topic of mobility that shows alternative ways of appropriate transportation, inclusion, and new vehicle typology and production.
Circular economy is the basis of a globally sustainable way of life and production. For their projects, The New Raw use 100% recycled plastic, which is reprocessed from the waste of our throwaway society (supermarket plastic waste). The ZUV can be shredded and 3D-reprinted in a local economic cycle (e.g. service concept). Other key components of the design concept are the additional components needed, such as wheels, electric motor, handlebar and brakes. Bicycle or motorbike workshops exist in every country. Based on their know-how and spare parts stock, local production can individually complete the ZUV. These parts are bolted on at predefined positions and simplify service, customization, repair, and upgrades.
In his book “Design for the Real World” (1971), designer, teacher and design theorist Victor J. Papanek (1923-1998) sharply criticized the role of design creators and suggested that, instead of working only for the richest 5% of the earth’s population, they should take care of the real design problems of the world. This appeal is an inspiration for EOOS Social Design to put “Design for the Other 95%” at the centre of its work and to place the studio’s activities at the service of global societal and technological challenges. An alternative manufacturing technology to 3D printing that can be implemented promptly is plastic rotational molding. This is a simple technology widely used around the world to produce, for instance, water tanks. The rotational molds can be welded together by hand from sheet metal scraps. Production is inexpensive and does not require specially trained personnel. Such factories can be found in all regions of the world.
Adapted mobility (SUV alternative)
The ZUV is an electrically powered tricycle. To reduce complexity and cost, it is driven from the rear wheel by a hub motor and has no pedals. The two front wheels are steered. The total weight is less than 100 kg. Two adults can sit on the bench seat and two children can ride with them in a transport box. Alternatively, the transport box can be used for last mile load transport. The permissible total weight could be around 300 kg. The maximum speed would be 25km/h in urban use, which would legally classify the vehicle as a bicycle. In addition, the reduced speed facilitates safety aspects and allows for a simple wheel suspension. The ZUV can be used for combined passenger and load transport. Three wheels ensure stable road holding on any surface, be it on the picnic meadow or in the muddy street of an informal settlement. The ratio between material use and benefit is reasonable (not 2 tons of vehicle needed to transport one person).
Chassis: 3-D printed from post-consumer waste (PP):
Width: 62x190x55 (WxLxH, cm).
Drive: Electric, rear hub motor
Maximum speed: 25 km/h
Vehicle weight: approx. 100 kg
Payload: 200 kg
Passenger transport: 2 adults + 2 children
Range: 50 km/battery charge
Battery: 48 volts with outputs for 12 and 5 volts each